How to configure email receipts
WP Full Stripe can send email receipts and other type of email notifications.
Email notifications are available in two flavors:
- Email receipts sent by Stripe
- Email receipts and notifications sent by the plugin
Enabling email notifications for a form
If you would like the send email receipts then you have to set the “Send Email Receipt?” option to “Yes” on the “Actions after payment” tab of your payment form:
Setting up email receipts sent by Stripe
1) Set the “Receipt Email Type” option to “Stripe” on the “Full Stripe / Settings / Email Notifications” page in WP Admin:
2) Make sure that at least the “Email customers for: Successful payments” option is checked on the “Business settings / Customer emails” page on the Stripe Dashboard
3) Customize Stripe email receipts
You have limited customization options: you cannot change the layout or contents of the receipt, you can change only the main color and the logo.
You can make these changes on the “Business settings / Customer emails” page on the Stripe Dashboard.
IMPORTANT: Stripe doesn’t send email receipts in test mode, only in live mode!
Setting up email receipts sent by the plugin
1) Set the “Receipt Email Type” option to “Plugin” on the “Full Stripe / Settings / Email Notifications” page in WP Admin:
2) Make sure that the “Email customers for” option is unchecked on the “Business settings / Customer emails” page in Stripe Dashboard:
3) Customize plugin email receipts:
There are three options on the “Full Stripe / Settings / Email Notifications” page that determine the behavior of your email receipts:
- Plugin Email Templates
Fully customizable HTML email template for the following events:
- Payment receipt: A successful one-time payment has been made
- Card captured: A customer submitted credit card details without payment
- Subscription receipt: A new subscription has been started
- Subscription ended: An automatically terminating subscription has ended
- Subscription update security code: A security code is sent to a subscriber who would like to log in to the “Update subscriptions” page
You can use placeholders to insert data entered by the customer into your emails.
Please refer to the Plugin email placeholders knowledge base article for more details.
- Email Sender Address
If you left this field empty then the “From:” address of the email receipt will be the email address specified on the “Settings / General” page in WP Admin.
- Send Copy Of Emails?
You can choose to receive a copy of the email notifications sent by the plugin.
The possible options are:
- No: Emails are not CC’d.
- Yes, to the Website Admin: Emails are also sent to the email address set on the “Settings / General” page in WP Admin.
- Yes, to the Email Sender Address: Emails are also sent to the “Email Sender Address” specified above.
Troubleshooting plugin emails
Check out the plugin email troubleshooting FAQ below:
How can I test my plugin emails?
Currently, there is no way to send a test email from the “Settings” page of the plugin.
If you would like to see how an email looks like then follow these steps:
- Embed your payment form into a page or post.
- Put WP Full Stripe in test mode on the “Full Stripe / Settings / Stripe” page.
- Make a test purchase (it will send an email receipt)
Plugin emails are not sent. What should I do?
By default, the plugin tries to send emails via the wp_mail() function of WordPress, which is in turn asks PHP to send out the emails.
Many hosting providers are not configured properly to relay emails sent by WordPress.
You can circumvent this by sending emails via SMTP, by using a plugin which overrides the built-in mailer.
We recommend the excellent WP Mail SMTP plugin for this.